An Open House can be an integral part of selling a home. Not every home is a candidate for an Open House due to factors like market conditions, location or condition. If you are planning an Open House there are some helpful hints to ensure you have the most successful Open House on the block. Here are some tips on how to have the perfect Open House:
Host a brokers only Open House. Agents and brokers will preview your home and identify possible buyers they have for your home.
Make your home look as large as possible by moving large pieces of furniture into storage.
Remove items not included in the sale. Remove the chandelier you got for a wedding present and the bookcase that fits so perfectly it looks built-in. If buyers don't see it, they won't want it.
Take Fido with you. Make arrangements for your pets to leave the house when it is being shown.
Two to Three Days Before Your First Open House
Clean the house top to bottom. Get in every nook and cranny, wipe down the walls, windowsills, vacuum the corners and baseboards and yes wash those windows.
Air out the house by opening the windows.
Make your home smell delicious by baking bread or apple pie.
Go through each room one by one and try to look for last minute fixes.
Add an arrangement of flowers.
- In most communities, Sunday afternoon is typical and expected.
- Two hours is also typical.
- Avoid conflicts with holidays, community celebrations or special events such as the Super Bowl.
- If possible try to be aware of the weather forecast, although this may be difficult to do.
- Clean and buff your appliances, that includes the stove inside and out.
- Launder all the bedding, towels, rugs and other fabrics in your home.
- Touch up spots on the walls.
- Sweep and clean out the garage.
- Mow the lawn, sweep the sidewalks, and clean up the bushes and flowers.