There comes a time when everyone gets older and decisions need to be made about long-term living options. Making the decision to move a parent into an assisted living facility can be a difficult decision not only for the senior but for the whole family. When is it time to make this decision and how will you know it is the right time? Here are some questions to ask to determine if your parent is ready for assisted living:
- Is your parent eating properly? Check the refrigerator to see if the food is being eaten.
- Is your parent steady on their feet? Are they able to easily navigate through the house?
- Is your parent able to do simple chores like laundry or have you noticed your parent wearing the same clothes when you go to visit?
- When you look around the house or yard, is it as neat and clean as it used to be?
- Is your parent on medications and are they able to remember to take them correctly?
- Is your parent prepared and able to respond appropriately to an emergency?