A well maintained driveway gives your home an elegant look that cannot be ignored by others. After investing thousands of dollars in the perfect drive way, you may wonder if seal coating is worth it. When you have an understanding of what seal coating does, it will help you in making the right decision. Irrespective of whether your drive way is made from concrete or asphalt, seal coating is a way of preserving its looks for a long time. The sealant acts as a barrier, preventing water, car fluids, ice, salt and other chemicals from eroding the surface of the driveway. The frequency at which this should be done depends on your location and the prevailing climatic conditions. For home owners in areas with harsh winters and numerous freeze-thaw cycles, they will have to seal their driveways annually or bi-annually. For milder climates, it can be done less often. Seal Coating Yourself It is cheaper seal coating yourself than hiring a professional, however, if you want to get it right, you will need to make a financial investments in the correct tools. You will need to purchase gloves, a brush for cleaning, a squeegee for the application, and cleaning chemicals be used before application to avoid sealing in any problems. The price of these materials vary based on the region and can be found at local stores. Tips on Seal Coating
- The best time to seal an asphalt driveway is when the ground temperature is 45 degrees Fahrenheit and when rain is not expected for 3 or more days.
- You will need to wear clothing to protect your body, as asphalt driveway sealers are quite an unpleasant products. You need to avoid direct skin contact as well as being cautious of the emanating vapor.
- Overhanging grasses at the edges of the pavement should be removed and the surface cleaned with a stiff bristled brush. Oil stains, they can be washed with detergent. Depressions and holes should be filled with an appropriate filler material.
- Sweep the surface to remove all dirt and debris. Anything missed by the sweeping process can be sprayed off with a jet stream nozzle attached to a garden hose. Be certain to to allow the surface time to dry completely before moving to the next step.
- Before opening the container of liquid seal coating, turn it upside down, this will premix the content. Once open, stir periodically to ensure the contents remains well mixed.
- Start in a small corner and progress along the surface of the driveway. It might be more comfortable sealing smaller squares at a time than doing a long narrow strip. Sealant should be applied in thin overlapping coats with a squeegee or a long handle brush.
- It will take a minimum of 24 hours for the sealant to dry. There should be no traffic on the drive way during the drying process. Put up a barricade at the entrance to avoid access.