The heat of the summer and the cold winter temperatures can do a job on your outdoor deck. A little prevention goes a long way. Caring for, cleaning and repairing your outdoor deck is essential to proper maintenance. Here are some steps you can take to make sure you will enjoy your outdoor space for many years to come: Here are some tools you will need:
plastic sheet or tarp
Here are the things you can do to keep your deck in tip top shape:
1. Clear the debris. Leaves, water and yard debris can get caught in between the floorboards of your deck. If these areas are not cleared your deck floorboards could rot or worse the joists that support the deck could fail.
2. Sweep off the deck surface. Use a broom to clear the deck floor, make sure to get in all the nooks and crannies.
3. Tighten all the floorboards, railings and the bolts that attach the deck to the house with a screwdriver or drill.
4. Check for water damage. Replace or repair rotten boards.
5. Use a hammer to pound in any loose or protruding nails.
6. Use a deck cleaner to clean the deck. Make sure to use rubber gloves and protective gear. You will also want to cover plants or bushes with a tarp or plastic sheeting around the deck to protect them from the cleaner chemicals.
7. Last but not least apply a deck sealer.